Call us to talk to a Registered Nurse

(800) 555-1212

Home » Patient Experience » Success Stories

Success Stories


I can't believe how far I've come along

Jordan worked as a pharmacist until he was forced to retire due to declining health. He lived at home with his wife and was independent with activities of daily living and mobility until the day his spouse found him unresponsive on the floor and called 911.

Read More

When Jordan first arrived he was mostly unresponsive and unable to actively participate in therapy, requiring maximum assistance from his team of caregivers for all his needs. His respiratory team started the process of strengthening his lungs and he began to show physical and cognitive signs of improvement. As he became more alert and oriented, and with constant support and encouragement from his wife who was always at his side, Jordan started to engage with his therapists and caregivers.

He was able to transition from full ventilator support to a portable device, allowing him to participate more fully in his therapy sessions, and soon he was up on his feet and walking with the aid of a walker. Jordan also made great gains with his occupational therapy program and regained much of the independence he had lost in performing the simple activities of daily life. His speech therapists helped Jordan regain the ability to swallow and speak once more, although he still needed supplemental nutrition through a feeding tube to make up for his severe undernourishment.

When Jordan was discharged he was overjoyed to be returning to his home after being in hospitals for nearly three months. “I can’t believe how far I’ve come along,” Jordan shared just before he left. “Thank you all for the care you gave me.”


Recovery Despite Complications

Michelle, 86, was admitted to a short-term acute care hospital on January 31 for abdominal pain. Prior to this, she was independent at home with her family. After a lap cholecystectomy, she could not be extubated. She suffered multiple complications of surgery including a small bowel obstruction, pleural effusion and atrial fibrillation, and an irregular heart rhythm. She was weaning from the ventilator for approximately two hours a day but was not progressing prior to admission to Hospital.

Read More

She was admitted on February 16 for ventilator weaning and management of conditions complicating her hospitalization including diabetes mellitus, hypertension, diverticulitis, deconditioning and a sacral decubitus ulcer.

On February 28, she was placed on the weaning protocol. The speech-language pathologist started her with a Passy Muir valve in-line with the ventilator on March 2.

The next day, she was started on TTAV (trans-tracheal augmented ventilation), per the weaning protocol, so she could speak during her weaning sessions. She progressed steadily and gained strength with the addition of aggressive physical and occupational therapy and speech-language pathology for the next two weeks.

On March 15, Michelle was weaned from the ventilator. On March 18, she was decannulated and her tracheostomy tube was removed. She was discharged on March 23 to acute rehab with a plan for ultimately going home. By this time, she had made good functional gains in occupational therapy, was able to complete basic activities of daily living, was ambulating 60 feet, and was swallowing pureed foods.

We look forward to a visit from Michelle and her family in the near future.